Rifles in pickup trucks.

A place about guns

Rifles in pickup trucks.

Postby Comrad » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:51 pm

Does anyone here use rifle racks in their vehicles?

I've seen examples on TV/Movies of people having rifles on their rear windows in their "pickup trucks" and I want to do the same. I don't want a wooden rack thing, I want something that can securely hold the rifle in place, probably with a clip and rubber padding. I'm not super keen on the idea of having suction cups to the rear window, since I've heard they can have issues with vibration, and come unstuck.

Basically, I want to be able to have my rifle mounted near me when I'm in my ute, so that if something comes along, and I want to get access to my rifle quickly, I can, but I want the rifle to be secure, so it won't go anywhere if I'm bumping around off road, or going over heavy corrugations on ungraded gravel roads in the middle of no-where. Plus, price is an issue, it seems like the sort of thing I'm looking for costs about $150, which I'm not willing to pay.
Comrad

Re: Rifles in pickup trucks.

Postby LeeMorgan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:00 am

If you use a hard case like a Plano, then it can sit on your back seat and then you just open it. On the plus side, you won't make your vehicle a target of opportunity. The plano that is square will also look less like a gun and more like an unknown object.
LeeMorgan

Re: Rifles in pickup trucks.

Postby Comrad » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:15 am

The case isn't really what I'm looking for. I only have a single cab, so putting it on the seat isn't really an option. Moreover, I wouldn't have it on the rack all the time, only when I'm actively out looking to go shooting. The rest of the time it would be in it's case. Also, I really want to be able to access the rifle quickly.

I eat a lot of kangaroo, and you only really take kangaroos at night, so you drive and spot them with a light on the top of the cab, and often shoot pretty much right away. Hence wanting a rack
Comrad

Return to Guns