Beach camping.

A place to talk about camping

Beach camping.

Postby Comrad » Wed May 28, 2014 11:16 pm

I wanted to ask about whether people in America do a lot of beach camping. In Australia, 85% of the population lives within 50 Kilometres (30 miles) of the ocean, so its fairly common that people go camping near the ocean, with a lot of people simply driving their four wheel drives over the beach untill they find a suitable place to fish and camp. I've not really seen much of that sort of camping on American TV, it mostly seems like its out in the woods, by a lake or river, and with a tent.

I was also curious about the way people go camping. The most common way I go is to load up my ute (truck) with fishing/hunting gear, food, my dog, and my swag. I'm fairly certain the swag is an Australian invention, but I'm not sure if its used anywhere else now days. Its basically a larger canvas bedroll with a thin mattress inside. If you've not heard of them, I strongly encourage you to check them out. A swag is basically a rolled up bed, and you can put whatever bedding you like inside. The canvas folds over the bedding, and is waterproof. It acts as both the tent and the sleeping bag, and is so much more comfortable and quick. The only downside is that if it starts to rain, you pretty much can't get out of bed. Because of this, I sometimes set up an awning off the side of my ute with a tarp to act as a shelter.

A couple of weeks ago I went out with a few friends camping on the beach trying to catch some salmon during their annual run. I borrowed an inspection drone from my work, and sent it up to get a picture of the beach and setup. The photo is attached.
Attachments
beach.JPG
Beach camping
(62.14 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
Comrad

Re: Beach camping.

Postby LeeMorgan » Thu May 29, 2014 11:58 am

In Ontario (I can't say for the rest of Canada), the only beach camping we do is usually in parks on small lakes. I don't know of anyone who stays at the edge of Lake Ontario over night. Usually for a BBQ,

Most of our camping excursions are usually either in Provincial Parks often either by Canoe, Hiking or by Lot (assigned spaces) camping.

Other people go cottaging or to a camp. Cottages here are small, usually seasonal buildings either with or without electricity and running water and range from the size of a wood cabin to a summer home. In Northern Ontario, people call cottaging going to camp. It probably has to do with the historical use of the word camp with hunt camps which can also include permanent seasonable buildings.
LeeMorgan

Postby dustingebhardt » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:01 pm

I have lived on both coasts of the USA and, as a general rule, most of the beaches are private property and/or closed to vehicle traffic. There are numberous locations up and down the coasts that allow you to camp on the beach, but you usually have to walk your stuff in from a parking lot. And there are a few locations that do allow you to drive on the beach. The one that I'm familiar with specifically is Freeman Park at Carolina Beach here in North Carolina. And unlike AUS, the population in the USA is spread out across the continent and not concentrated near the coasts, so forest/mountain/inland camping is simply more popular. We do enjoy camping at lakes and other water sources, too. Personally, since I was raised within a few miles of the Pacific, I prefer to camp on the ocean beachs, where I can fish around the clock.
dustingebhardt

Postby Hendersond » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:30 am

We are 7 miles away from the Mississippi river in Western Wisconsin. The river and backwaters are quite wide in this area. We load up the aluminum flat bottom boat with gear and go down river to a sand bar. We pitch a tent and sleep in or on sleeping bags. The tent is mostly because of the mosquitos and heavy dew.
I never knew what a swag was. Thank you
Hendersond

Return to Camping