Boats

A place to talk fishing

Boats

Postby Comrad » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi all,

I've been working on my boat recently, and I'm getting fairly into it. I'm wondering if anyone else has boats, and whether they tinker with them.

I have a 13 foot aluminium, flat bottomed boat, perfect for rivers, creeks and estuaries. It doesn't love the ocean unless its a really calm day, but its super stable in sheltered conditions.

I was having issues with my outboard about 6 months ago, and since it was winter, and the weather wasn't great, I just sort of let it sit in the workshop. Now that it's summer here and the weather is perfect, I dragged the boat out, and had a look at it. I gave the outboard a full service, replaced spark plugs, fully rebuilt the carburetor, replaced the primer assembly, and its purring now. I also put a 110 Ah deep cycle battery in it, and mounted a 30lb Minn Kota on the bow, as well as installing some rollocks for oars if everything else fails.

I've never used an electric motor before, but I really like the idea of being able to stand up the bow and flick out some lures, use my throw net, or even go bow fishing.

I'm keen so hear about your boats, and how you've modified them for the way you fish.
Comrad

Re: Boats

Postby LeeMorgan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:23 pm

I have used electric outboard motors before. They are quiet but really slow. Good for trolling or site seeing as long as you are not planning on getting anywhere faster. They are also silent and easy to de-weed. You can also install them on a lot of canoes for an added benefit if you have a cottage on the water and you want to be really off grid. I bet the marine battery would work well with a solar set-up.

I plan on getting a canoe at some point. They are quite expensive for the good ones (super light?) but worth the weight if you plan on portaging it (which I have done a lot). My fathe-in-lawr has an aluminium, which weights a ton. They are really more suited to rapids since they can be hammered back to shape. My wife and I do at least one canoe trip each year in Algonquin Park, Ontario - and it gets expensive to rent. You get a lot of practice with canoes and weight becomes a real issue on a 2km hike up and down hills.

Do you row your boat or have you tried rowing it over long distances? What is it like without the motor running?

I have at the marina that you can make a boat motor repair spot out of a 55 gallon drum full of water and a wood board screwed to the side. Makes it easy to test out on dry ground on outside a workshop.
Last edited by LeeMorgan on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeeMorgan

Postby Comrad » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:01 pm

I've rowed the boat before, it goes fairly well, the problem is that given that its a flat bottomed boat, it doesn't have fantastic bow direction, you're not pushing onto a point, which can give slightly greater drag than when using a traditional V-hull dinghy.

The engine is going great. I don't use a 55 gallon drum, I use my rubbish bin filled with water. Our rubbish bins are green thick plastic, maybe 4.5 foot tall. They're perfect for running the engine at idle, but when you put them into gear to really try loading them up, it blows all the water out of the bin. I simply use a specialized muff for my engine leg. Instead of having the easy side port water injection port which most outboards have, small mariner/mercury 2 stroke engines have a weird intake grill mounted underneath the cavitation plate above the propellor, so I have to use a piece of stainless plate with a hose fitting attached which is then tightened down with a wing nut. It works well, and allows me to run at full load in gear just outside the workshop, its just an irritating thing to have to set up compared to traditional muff style units.

I have a 2 person, 18 foot canoe, which is fibreglass. It was my dad's when he was a kid, and its still in fantastic condition. Its super bulky and heavy, though. I can lift it by myself, but I certainly can't carry it, its way too ungainly. I was considering putting a mount for the minn kota on it as well. I have a large canopy on my "pickup truck" and a spare 3000lb remote control ATV winch, so I was thinking of installing it on top of the canopy, and being able to winch the canoe up on top of it. I also want to be able to do the same with my boat. Its fairly common to see four wheel drives going on really remote, difficult terrain to put a boat on top of their vehicles so that they don't have to worry about towing a trailer.
Comrad

Postby LeeMorgan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:17 am

All canoes are "light" until you walk a kilometre / mile with them. I totally understand the ability to stay on course with a boat. Never thought about it with flat bottom aluminums but it makes sense.
LeeMorgan

Postby LostSkillsPodcast » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:11 pm

i have had many boats since i was a kid my dad had both a 12 foot flat bottom and a 12 foot v hull. when i was in my teens i used to go an row upstream from my dads bar and go fishing and swiming a lot.but i never really did a lot to them.
i managed to save up and by an electric trolling motor and i used that on the flat bottom all the time, but the same deal up stream only so if the battery died it was easier to get back.
then i got a 16 foot tri hull. it was a 1968 Chrysler it had a 50 horse in the back if i remember right. i actually bought it from Steve the admin here . it was old and it leaked a little i did a lot of fiberglass patching to it but it was a good boat .i put new seats in it and a couple of other things i sold it once and then i got it back wit rod holders and a net holder and a mount for a second motor. but unfortunately it started leaking to bad and i gave up on fixing it. if i can find an old pic i will post it.

now i have a paddle boat and a 16 foot canoe, the canoe has a small gas outboard for it thats what my wife and i go out and float the river on.
i did recently acquire a 16 foot deep v boat from my brother in law. unfortunately he left it uncovered for years and the floors are all rotten in it so i will have to do a major rebuild . but on the bright side i can make it how i want it , right ? i will take lots of pics when i do that.
LostSkillsPodcast
Site Admin

Postby Comrad » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:51 pm

Hi Guys,

As a bit of an update - I got a new boat. My Dad and I decided that we were sick of being stuck in rivers and estuaries, and that the ocean was calling to us every night in our dreams. As such - new boat. This one is an 18 foot plate aluminium ocean boat. Its a wide body design, about 7 foot wide, so, its super stable in the ocean, and its got a 130HP oil injected 2 stroke, so plenty of power when we need to run from the weather when we're out deep.

Our plans are to do some work on it, put in new electrics, new shade covering, a micro galley, deck wash systems, etc... and make it a perfect machine for going out wide. We want to fish for monsters past the continental shelf in the 1000 foot deep sort of range.
Attachments
belvedere.JPG
belvedere.JPG (19.28 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
Comrad

Return to Fishing